February 15, 2010

Corny Chili

I woke up this morning and there was a little snow covering the ground. The cold always makes me crave soup or chili. So, I decided to try out this new recipe that I have had marked in my Taste of Home cookbook. I love chili and corn so I have been dying to try this recipe! It was really delicious and tastes somewhat like the taco soup. It is a little easier on the stomach though! :)

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (14.5oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (11oz) whole kernel corn, drained
3/4 c Picante Sauce
1 T chili powder
1/2 t garlic powder
optional: corn chips, sour cream, and shredded cheese



Directions:
*In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
*Transfer to 3qt slow cooker. (I just used a big pot) Stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, picante sauce, chili powder, and garlic powder. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through. (It only took about 20 minutes for mine to be heated in the pot.)
*Serve with corn chips, sour cream, and cheese if desired.

 
Yield: 4-6 servings

I doubled the recipe because I was cooking for 5 people. I did change the recipe a little bit. Since I double the recipe, I used 1 can kidney beans and 1 can of pinto beans. I also used Del Monte diced tomatoes Zesty Chili Style. It helped to give it more of a chili flavor.

2 comments:

  1. sounds yummy!!! too bad my husband doesn't eat chili or beans!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy..this sounds really good! I will have to try! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete