October 25, 2010

Gregory Bald

This past weekend Kim, Marshall, Jack, and I went on a backpacking trip. We left Friday after lunch and came back Sunday afternoon.
 
 

We started out on Wolf Ridge Trail. Then we took Long Hungry Trail until we reached Gregory Bald. It was about a 17 mile trip. We did 10 miles Friday and Saturday uphill. Friday night we got to camp a little bit before dark. Then we woke up early Saturday morning and started our hike. We hiked at a decent pace even though I had to stop and take a few breaks to get the feeling back in my legs. After hiking to an elevation of 4949, we finally reached Gregory Bald. It was worth the sweat and tears! It was gorgeous!! My only regret is that we didn't spend a lot of time relaxing on top of the bald. After spending a little time soaking in the beautiful scenery, we headed to set up camp for night 2. Luckily we got enough radio reception to pick up the UT game!! However, we were all so worn out that we went to bed at half time. We woke up early the next morning to a nice warm fire. Jack's exact words to Marshall were "I am going to go start the fire because that is the only way we will get those girls out of the tent!" After we warmed up, we packed up and started on our 7 mile hike downhill to our car!! Overall I had a lot of fun, but I still thought this was a very hard hike. I have never been backpacking. So, 2 days uphill with 30+ pounds on your back wasn't the easiest for me. I am very lucky though to have such an amazingly supportive and patient boyfriend to help me through it!! It was also great to be with my bff Kim and be able to both have this first experience together!!

Day 1
 

Day 2
  
 
 
 
My support
 


 
Kim and I when we FINALLY made it to the Bald!
 
View from 1 side

 

View from the other side
 
 
 
Sunset through the trees
 
Our fire starters




Day 3
 
 
 
 
Being "sexy"
 
Kim the Pro Hiker!
 
So, when you are hiking, it is VERY common to stumble and loose your balance. Well, I finally did for the last time on the way down. My legs were like noodles and I hit a tree root. I finally gave in and fell!!! I yell to Jack "Man down!" Kim was behind me and got to see the whole thing! He was sweet enough to take a picture to document my fall!

This is how I landed. I had to unsnap my pack so that I could sit up!
 
FINALLY DONE!!! This is us after 3 days of no showers!!
 
Jack solo on the final day because Marshall left us so that he could make it to the car and take a nap......notice the same clothes.........
 

No comments:

Post a Comment