March 25, 2012

DIY Wedding Preview

I have been keeping myself busy with getting stuff together for the wedding.  I thought that I would give you a mini preview of things I have made and we have purchased for the big day! We have turned this in to a DIY wedding to save some mulla! :)

I made our wedding invitations to save a little money.  We bought the clip art from  istockphoto.  Of course the black lines aren't on the invitation, I added those in for privacy reasons. Since I made these invitations, It cost us $25 for the blank invitations, envelopes, and clip art.  Then I used 1 ink cartridge.  So that's only $50 for 100 invitations.  A LOT cheaper than purchasing them.



Most flower girl baskets are $20-$30 a piece.  I got mine on sale at Michaels for $3 a piece.  Then I bought spray paint and ribbon. The ribbon was on sale at Joann's.  So I have about $12 in both baskets! 


For the wedding favors, we did splurge on the adult favors.  I wanted to get wine stoppers to go with the wine theme.  So for the adults, we purchased personalized wine bottle stoppers.  If you like them, you can get them HERE.  The baskets I got on sale at Hobby Lobby for $5!  I was excited to see they had our wedding colors!  I did purchase a foam block to put in the bottom of the basket so I could stand most of the stoppers up.  For the kids, I made activity books.  I turned our photos into lined drawings.  This way the kids could color pictures of us.  I also did a wedding party word search, crossword puzzle, and a maze.  These were all free from puzzlemaker.com.  I also got them Crayola crayons.  I purchased these over the summer when they are only 20 cents a piece.  I hope that the kids will love the books.  I think it is a great way to keep them occupied at the reception.












Most card holders cost $40-$50, and I am not a huge fan of them.   I saw a cute idea on Pinterest for a card holder. It was an old suitcase with the word CARDS hanging on a ribbon.  It was a little too vintage for our reception.  So, I made my own.  I bought a wooden box and some scrapbook paper.  I used Mod Podge (greatest invention!) to put the scrapbook paper on the box.  The I got some wooden letters and painted them white.  I sprinkled some orange glitter on some of the letters and then tacked a ribbon inside of the box to hang the letters from.  This project cost me about $20!  And I LOVE how it turned out!!




One of the last DIY projects, I have completed, are the wine bottles.  I made my own wine lables in word.  I used the same damask pattern that is on the card box.  I used our engagement pictures and included our name and wedding date.  For the back labels, I used lyrics from our wedding playlist.  We went through our playlist and picked our favorite lyric from each song.  I printed these out on regular printer paper.  Then I used my sticker machine that my mom got me a few years ago and turned them into stickers.  These are going to be the centerpieces.  I will fill the wine bottles with wine oil and I have wine bottle wicks.


Here are a few more things for the wedding day!

 My garter

 The ribbon for the bridesmaids' bouquets.


 My something blue that my sweet bff and bridesmaid April bought me!

4 comments:

  1. This looks great Julia! Super cute ideas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE ALL OF THIS! You are awesome :) The coloring book is such a great idea!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute ideas. You should start a website giving ideas to other brides.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did such a great job! I am proud of you
    Your new friends Amanda and Tracy Patterson

    ReplyDelete