August 8, 2009
2 Eye Opening Books
Same Kind of Different as Me is another book that I read with my book club. It is about a man named Denver that was born into slavery and a man named Ron that becomes rich selling art. It is a biography written by both of these men.I really did not want to read this book. I didn't like the fact that it was a biography with two different authors. As I had said with My Sister's Kepper, I do not like books that have chapters with different people's viewpoint. The books just seemed to be jumbled up. HOWEVER, I REALLY enjoyed this book. I liked how even though it was different authors and the chapters were back and forth with their view, it still flowed really well! I was able to keep up with the book and storyline. I also liked how the chapters were straight and to the point and not long and drawn out. It made it harder to put the book down. I have actually suggested this book to a couple of other people. It helps to put things into perspective. It also helps you to realize how good you have it, even when you think that you are bad off, and it made me realize that I really don't do enough for other people. I think that it is definitely a good read now also with the economy the way it is because you may be stressed out over money, but you read the book and are thankful that you aren't in the position that Denver was in.Who Moved My Cheese? was a required read for my EDS class. I have to have it read before the first class so when I finished Same Kind of Different as Me last night I decided to go ahead and start because I was afraid I wouldn't get around to it otherwise. It is a really short book. (I read it in an hour) I think that it is an eye opener just because as much as we all would like to deny it nobody really likes change, but sometimes in our life it is necessary and sometimes it turns out to be the best for us.
The book is about 2 mice named Sniff and Scurry. Sniff is a mouse that "sniffs out change early." Scurry is a mouse that "scurries into action." There are also 2 little people named Hem and Haw. Hem "denies change and resists change as he fears it will lead to something worse." Haw "learns to adapt in time when he sees changing leads to something better." They are in a maze with cheese. (The cheese can signify money, a relationship, a job, etc.) It is a story about how each character handles change and what happens to them due to their decision.
If you have a little extra time on your hands, you should check it out. It definitely wasn't a waste of time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment