September 5, 2011

Relaxing Labor Day

Jack and I had another relaxing Labor Day.  We decided to watch the fireworks at home again this year.  We didn't want to take the chance in the rain, and we wanted to relax at home since we are constantly on the go.  We started off the night with an amazing delicious and fattening dinner!!  We decided to cook the catfish that he caught about a week ago.  He did the seasoning and breading and would not share his secret recipe!  :)  It turned out amazing though!  He wanted to do a fish and chips dinner.  So, my contribution to the dinner was hush puppies and chips.  I cut up a few potatoes really thin and fried them up into chips.  Then I found a great recipe for hush puppies.  I have never made them before.  So, I turned to no other then the wonderful Paula Deen!! They were so amazing and super super easy!! I have the recipe below for you!



 One big happy family watching the fireworks together.
 Rocky was tired of taking pictures



 Our yummy dinner

Paula's Hush Puppies

Ingredients:  
 6 c vegetable oil (just enough to drop the puppies in.  I think I used 2 or 3 cups)
1 1/2 c self-rising cornmeal
1/2 c self-rising flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 small onion, chopped
1 c buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
*For a sweet hush puppy, add 2 T sugar (I did this)

Directions:
Prepare the oil for frying in a skillet.  Prefeat it to 350 degrees.  In a mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt.  Stir in the onion.  In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk and egg.  Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until blended-don't worry if there are a few lumps.  Drop the batter, on teaspoon at a time, into the oil.  Dip the spoon in a glass of water after each hush puppy is dropped.  Fry until golden brown, turning the hush puppies during the cooking process.


I only did half of this recipe and there were still plenty left over.

1 comment:

  1. I've been wondering if you were running away from blogging! You little love birds look great. :)

    ReplyDelete